Glenroy Neighbourhood Learning Centre is a community development and education services provider, Neighbourhood House, and Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
Our charity offers a suite of digital literacy courses, language and literacy programs, health and well-being activities, occasional childcare, and opportunities for young people.
Glenroy Neighbourhood Learning Centre had its origins in 1978 when staff at Broadmeadows Community Health Centre found many of their clients required language and literacy skills. The Council of Adult Education (CAE) was approached to train volunteer literacy tutors for an adult literacy program in Glenroy. The program, delivered by volunteers in the Glenroy Library, was one of the first in the country.
Since that time, some developments in the history of the organisation include:
- Becoming a neighbourhood house in 1999.
- Joining the Northern Adult Migrant English (AMEP) Consortium in 2003.
- Delivering the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) from 2006 onwards following a successful history of providing courses for early school leavers.
- Moving from Glenroy Library to Hartington Street then Nelson Street in 1989. In 2006, the organisation became part of a purpose built community services hub in Cromwell Street.
Glenroy Neighbourhood Learning Centre supports and promotes the principles and practices of Australian democracy in all its operations including:
– elected Government
– the rule of law
– equal rights of all before the law
– freedom of religion
– freedom of speech and association
– the values of openness and tolerance
Glenroy Neighbourhood Learning Centre is committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people, and has zero tolerance of child abuse or harm. Glenroy Neighbourhood Learning Centre complies with the mandatory requirements for organisations providing services to children and young people under 18 years of age as specified in the Victorian Government’s Child Safe Standards All reports of child safety concerns will be taken very seriously and consistently in accordance with our policies and procedures.
Child Safe Standards statement available here.